The Three Cups Public House was Grade II listed on 20th June 1972, amended 18th April 1994
Formerly listed as: CHURCH STREET (North East side) 'Three Cups Hotel'
Historic England ID: 1204343
English Heritage ID: 366505
Public house. Circa 1500 AD and late circa 18th century AD. Timber-framed and rendered and encased in brick on SW and SE elevations. Roofs are gabled in clay plain tiles and low pitched in slate tiles. Road front was rebuilt in circa 20th century AD and has parapet and projecting band between storeys. First floor is pebble-dashed and ground floor of ashlared render.
7-window range of circa 20th century double-hung sashes with small panes and central early circa 19th century doorcase with moulded architrave, console brackets supporting dentilled cornice. SE elevation is of red Flemish-bond brickwork reduced in height following a fire. Projecting canted bay window with double-hung sash windows with small panes on timber brackets and mixture of double-hung sashes, some with arched heads and some with flat gauged brick arches. Low parapeted gable over front half. NE elevation is of 3 parts with a flat-roofed 2-storey block forming the southern end. In the centre, a 2-storey slate hipped roofed block, jettied on upper floor with 2 surviving brackets. The ground floor of this has canted bay of double-hung sashes with small panes and an elliptical-arched early circa 19th century blocked entrance door with simple panelled pilasters and emphatic cornice. The northernmost part has steep gabled roof and jettied upper floor with 8 joist ends exposed and one original bracket. Ground floor has a canted double-hung sash oriel bay with small panes on timber brackets. Most of rear elevation is rendered with traces of ashlaring and some painted brick and weather-boarding. 2-storeycross-wing of 2 bays at NE corner of complex with richly moulded spine beams bridging joists and common joists. Roof survives with collared rafter couples but no evidence for former crown posts. Similar larger 2-bay structure forming northern part of frontage block with moulded ceiling as above. The gap between these blocks was possibly a stackbay. Abutting the SE flank of the cross-wing is a single bay of jettied framing with spine beam and moulded impost of the late circa 16th century.
Within SE part of complex is an early circa 18th century well staircase with barley-sugar balusters and panelled dado. Formerly there was a ceiling with fleurs-de-lys and roses on first floor as at 'The Globe'.
The building was used as council chamber prior to rebuilding of Guildhall and referred to as 'mansion' in circa 17th century. It seems probable that this is a purpose-built inn of circa 1500.
(RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 135 (3)).
Listing NGR: TM2608632601
TM2632NW CHURCH STREET 609-1/2/38 (North East side)
The Three Cups
64 Church Street
Latitude: 51.9459 / 51°56'45"N
Longitude: 1.2883 / 1°17'17"E
OS Map Reference
National: GBR VQK.VYF
Church of England Parish
The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese
Copyright © 2017 The Three Cups Harwich - All Rights Reserved.